Tuesday, April 30, 2013

It's Called "Better Decision Making"

Every breakfast for me is full of the usual suspects. Kashi GoLean cereal or Oatmeal or Egg Substitute with some healthy mix-ins. With my morning coffee, of course (DUH). I'm just not super hungry in the mornings so for me to have any more than 200 calories is unheard of.

Now, please keep in mind that a year ago I'd scarf down a wheat bagel with low fat cream cheese thinking that this was healthy.

One thing I've learned on this journey is how to eat healthier... make better decisions in regards to food choices. So I thought it'd be fun to share a little comparison with you.

Both of these photos contain 150 calories. Which would you choose?


Above: 1/2 cup scrambled egg substitute with fresh basil, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup strawberries.

Above: 1 Hashbrown from McDonald's

Let me break it down for you.

Scrambled Egg Plate                              Hashbrown
Calories: 150                                       Calories: 150
Fat: 2                                                      Fat: 9
Protein: 16                                             Protein: 1
Sugar: 5                                                  Sugar: 0
Sodium: 229                                             Sodium: 310
Fiber: 2                                                    Fiber: 2 

So again I ask: which would you choose? Especially considering that hashbrown most definitely not fill you up nor will it make you feel very good after consuming it. 

Remember, this is all about CHOOSING BETTER FOODS. Don't call it a 'diet' because it's not. It's simply better decision making. 

No comments:

Post a Comment